Read The Ring of Lost Souls

#BlogFlash Halloween

BlogFlash Halloween (#BlogFlash1031)

Saturday 17 November 2012

NaNoWriMo: How Indiana Lost her Mind (and so did her Author)


NaNoWriMo 2012
So it's been 15 days of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) already! Can you believe it?! I hit the 50K mark pretty early on in the piece. My cat helped me celebrate the last 2K by typing the odd word (ie. walking CONSTANTLY across the keyboard) and massaging my legs as I worked (try explaining those pinholes when you wear shorts to pick your kids up from school :-/).
Now I have discovered the hard part. 'How Indiana lost Her Mind (But Found Herself)' ORIGINALLY told the story of how Indiana met a vampire and got her memory back. Before I even started writing this book the first time around, I had a slightly different plan for the novel, one which involved wood nymphs rather than genies (oh yeah, the 'baddie' turned out to be one bad-arsed genie that just didn't want to go back into her bottle). With this years rewrite, I am going back to my original plan. I was never really happy with the vampire aspect of the novel (although, the vampire characters will be staying, just in a more subdued way) and thanks to NaNoWriMo, am now discovering just how hard it is to rewrite a novel.
Nymphs Finding the Head of Orpheus, by John William Waterhouse (1900)
In the last three days, according to the NaNoWriMo website, I have written around 1,000 words. Previous to that (ie. the part of the book that is remaining basically the same except the change from 1st person to 3rd person perspective) I was averaging 4,000 a day. So what happened?
Well, for starters, I added a love triangle. This means I have had to rip the guts out of various sections, losing thousands of words at a time. Then these sections were written again. My baddie has become a man, rather than a woman, so I have also been carefully reading over sections to delete all the 'S's' from 'She' and changing 'hers' to 'his'. Those 1,000 words have actually been about 5,000 lost and 6,000 rewritten!
Also, I have hit that stage of the game where research is involved. In the last 48 hours I have had a crash course in nymphs, dryads, satyrs and the Sagittarius constellation.
Now, I just need to collate the lot and get this story FINISHED by the 30th of November!
So, how's everyone else going with NaNoWriMo?

No comments: